Sunday, November 2, 2008

Taking On The Unknown

For Sir Gawain when taking on a Green Knight not knowing where he's from. As he begs for a battle on a New Year night. This battle of Sir Gawain is only the first of his destiny with this Green Knight . The one stiff stroke is all he was looking for. 12 months from then he would have to meet him at his green chapel that know one knows where he is to be found. When Gawain took on the Green Knight and cut off his head to his astonishment he lived picking up his head and showing it right to Guinevere. Now he must meet him at his chapel knowing now this knight was to cut off his head. Gawain went with much courage to go for his honor of words. On his adventure he came two miles from this chapel where he felt his life would end,yet not knowing he came to the Green Knights land when his wife and Sir Gawain got acquainted with each other . This lady was very beautiful to Sir Gawain and to be her "Knight " he gave her kisses anytime she wanted. She also gave him a green belt that would save him. This belt would soon symbolize heroes honored at the Round Table. This was all a game for the Green Knight who set this all up for his amusement for his yuletide of the New Year and to find out if all was true of the fame of the Round Table.

4 comments:

The Knight of Surcoat said...

Yes, I truly was startled when the Green Knight picked up his head after I cut it off. I truly thought he much have some kind of deal with the devil; though it turned out it was my aunt Morgan le Fey…
I also thank you for calling me courageous. It is true; it took much strength of will for me to search out the Green Knight knowing that the end result would most probably be my death. But like you said I am a man of my word. Though I am shamed to say that my fear of death did allow me to break my word once; I kept the girdle I was gifted with from the lord of the castle when by the bargain we struck I should have given it to him. I still wear it to this day to prevent myself from repeating the same mistake.

Darcy said...

I recommend that you reread the tale my friend because it was not for the Green Knight's amusement as much as it was for mine. He is my servant in these matters and does as I ask of him, as all loyal knights should. I am the orchetrator of this game and do not forget it.

Taliesin said...

I am astonished to hear such things. Sir Gawain was couragous and faced such obstacles that would make lesser men cower. Yet, to be manipulated by a woman in such a way saddens me. All of the lord's court should hear of this. I will sing this tale, for there are lessons to be learned here.

Anonymous said...

Indeed it was a fine plan of mine to trick Sir Gawain into being dishonest about wearing the protective tunic. But we must remember. All Sir Gawain did in defiance of my wishes was love his own life. Ask yourself if put in the situation how would you have acted?