Monday, November 10, 2008

The Wedding of Sir Gawain and Dame Ragnell

Never once have I herd of such a tale, for I am used to love being forbidden. The approval and worship of others has always come naturally to me - I have always kept the men swooning. I am glad to see that the Wedding of Sir Gawain and Dame Ragnell ended on a somewhat happy note. For Sir Gawain is a good man, a good knight too, and he deserves to be with such a beauty. But, to say that Dame Ragnell is the fairest in all the land is just preposterous! Obviously none of those critics have traveled to my kingdom.

Anyway, I do admire the skill and trickery that Dame Ragnell possess. She reminds me of myself in many ways. We both know our way around the weaker sex's minds. Although, she uses her feminine knowledge to her advantage and seeks out love, whereas love is just thrusted upon me. My life would be much simpler without a man, or love for that matter. I would never have to worry, or look over my shoulder for the Kings informants. But, I also see how I am lucky, most women go their whole lives searching for the type of love that found me. Women like Dame Ragnell. She found her love and gained her beauty all in the course of one day, I guess you could say she is the lucky one.

Brain power is much more useful then the power of ones muscles. Brian over brawn! Women are known for being more logical, because we know how to use our brains. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many times I have had to save my dear Tristan from "spilling the beans." Dame Ragnell also knows how to use her brain to her advantage. Without her explisit specifications on the terms of her deal with King Arthur, then she never would have broken her curse and found her love. For this I admire her greatly.

5 comments:

Marie de France said...

Well, these are certianly not the thoughts of MY Isolde! My Isolde is never haughty. She is not a braggart and she would NEVER regret having loved Tristan in such an all-consuming manner. How can the honeysuckle regret growing near the hazel wood? Perhaps it would be slightly disgruntled by the amount of dependence it has on the hazel tree, but it would never once wish to disentangle itself. Can a bird help but fly? Can a fish live without water? Can a human being stop breathing altogether? The answer is no. And Isolde would never forsake Tristan.

Clearly, the sentiments expressed in the above entry are those of Beroul's Isolde. While I do admire that woman's wit, I do not care for her complete disregard of true love. What is life without love? It is nothing. It is completely meaningless. Ugh! Why am I even getting so upset over a fictional character?

olwen said...

It is true what is life with out love. I myself waited a long time for Culwch my love to come court me from my father. I must also agree with marie de france comment.You, Isolde could never live without the love of Tristan. Who are you kidding.For Sir Gawain I'm so glad to hear of his wedding to Dame Ragnell. He'll love her always.

Sir Valven said...

I do love Ragnell with complete sincere. For her sake, I need to correct the entry by Fair Isolde. Ragnell Is not the "lucky" one, but the blessed one with discreteness and chivalry, so she succeeded in ending the charm on her. Moreover, she did not choose me just to make her plan come true. I know her love is a sincere one because I always see her by my side.
Just one thing that confused me....the humiliation she brought on me on the night of the mantle trial. I could not believe the mantle shrank on her, but I had to accept it.
If all women use their brain wisely, would not Ragnell have done things that caused the mantle to shrink?

Anonymous said...

Hah! I resent what the Fair Isolde said about me - I never actually "spilled the beans," as it was so crudely spoken. I know not where the lady found the sheer nerve to speak so cockily about herself and her wiles.

Our love was precious to me; time and time again I risked my life and honor to be with my beloved Isolde. I turned from my own family; from my uncle, who is a man I greatly respect. For her to so callously disregard our love; to describe it as being thrust upon her, pains me greatly.

Taliesin said...

This banter saddens me. Out of that entire tale the only things you people can focus on are the beauty bestowed on Dame Ragnell and thier shallow love. What of King Arthur? Is this not an Arthurian tale? This is why Arthur's role has become faint. The minds of the people are on vainity and love instead of honor and duty. I miss the old days.