Monday, November 3, 2008

Glory to Gawain

My entire life I have devoted my loyalty to King Arthur and his Round Table. Never have I once questioned his authority. I have always been the first to support him in his quests without question or concern. I am his nephew and kin just as Gawain is, yet, no literature is focused upon my good deeds or battles. Gawain is praised as if he is the best knight in the land, and I am not even mentioned once in any of his tales. I am not trying to debase Gawain for his brave and chivalric actions with the Green Knight, but I am only asking to be recognized as a knight, who is also the nephew of Arthur, in the tale.

Yet, I must say that the court at Arthur's Round Table during the holiday festivities was absolutly splendid and entertaining. Never have I been to a more pleasant celebration than that of the good King Arthur's feasts. He tops all in every aspect of life, and can not be matched, even by that of my good cousin, Sir Gawain. I will come to Arthur's call until the end of my time, for I am truly devoted to him.

5 comments:

Guinevere said...

There are many chivalrous knights of the Round Table who are not widely known about, perhaps due to their modesty. Hoel, you are an excellent knight and I lament that there are few stories of your valor. The Christmas and New Year's festivities celebrated all of our kingdom and honored all of our knights and citizens. Perhaps you and Gawain should plan the next feast's entertainment. Then you could show the kingdom just how valiant you truly are. It warms my heart to know how proudly the Knights of the Round Table serve King Arthur and our kingdom. Thank you for your service Hoel and the other courageous, dutiful knights who serve so proudly, yet not not be made immortal through Arthurian legends.

Anonymous said...

I offer you praise for your willingness and courage in serving King Arthur, the greatest ruler in this land, and Guinevere, his fair queen. They are indeed gracious and fair to all of the knights; including you. And although you say that you are not trying to "debase" Sir Gawain, you seem to be seeking attention and recognition. You must be more humble, my dear Sir Hoel. You are a courageous man and a good knight who serves his king well. In good time - and with a great enough deed - you too will gain the recognition you so crave.

Marie de France said...

Who is this Hoel character and why is he suddenly popping up on this blog? Who wrote about him? Was it Geoffrey?? That Sir Mallory fellow? They couldn't have generated very spectacular work about him since I have never heard of "Hoel" before. Then again, both of them tend to be rather boring. Hmm...if Hoel is so unknown...it wouldn't be too hard to tweak his character and make a story about him. After all, he is supposedly related to Arthur, has intimate knowledge of Arthur's court, and does seem slightly disappointed that he's not very well known. Add a lady in distress, and eureka! Another court hit! Guess it's off to the writing room!

Sir Valven said...

Dear Hoel, I understand your feeling. I know of your good deeds and chivalry. However, it is not always of honor to appear in many of the tales. As I revealed my weakness through the game with the Green Knight, I, who is pledged to be considered the best knight of the Round Table, has flaw. Therefore, appearing in many tales brings me more chance to reveal my flaws. In the tale I appear, "The Sage of the Mantle," I failed not to accept my wife's wrongdoing and became sarcastic to the ladies. Be prepared if you want to be described in more stories.

Anonymous said...

I would not be so quick to judge Sir Gawain. Remember my young knight you to were also sitting at that round table. Each knight in that room was given an ample opportunity to prove their valor and bravery by facing me. Your King nearly had to be the first man to face me. Had Gawain not acted as he did your kingdom would not have lasted as long as it did. Remember Arthur is one with the land. If he is defeated or weakened so to is the fate of the world itself.