Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The chilvalrous Gawain

Gawain, the most chilvarious and kind-hearted of any of King Arthur's knights. He does anything for his King, even marry a hideous hag. Why that's why I chose him to be the one to marry. I knew that he would be the only knight who would follow King Arthur's orders to the very last degree. To marry me, most knight would have shuddered and tried to convince me or King Arthur to change the rules of the favor. The virtuous Gawain was the only one with the key to rid me of my evil curse, and in an indirect way my brother, who hates me, actually helped me acquire Gawain. Sir Gromer had his lands taken away and given to Gawain, which made him challenge King Arthur to the question, "What do women want?". I knew the answer, as I was the one to know the answer in the first place. Gawain is the only man I know who has followed full-heartedly to the answer of that question. He gave me the choice to be my preference of beautiful during the day and ugly at night, or ugly during the day and beautiful during the night. Other men listen to me, such as when King Arthur granted my wish of being married in front of every resident at his castle. It was to show more of how Gawain is the best knight ever created over my wanting to expose the fact that I have an advantage over King Arthur. King Arthur is weak, needing help from everyone to solve his own problems. I already knew that King Arthur was going to ask Gawain for help, because Gawain always finishes what he starts. So therefore, it was perfect at this time to ask, or more yet demand that Gawain marry me. Arthur sacrificed his friend to a horrible hag to save his own life. That shows the true King Arthur's character. And the fact that Gawain sacrificed his life for his king shows his true character.

5 comments:

Mrs. Whitaker said...

Dame Ragnell,

I would have to agree with your assessment that Gawain is the most chilvarious and kind-hearted of any of King Arthur's knights. His actions in this last story prove that he is a man who is true to his word. However, when given the choice of whether to have you ugly during the day or the night, his status diminished in my eyes. He seemed resigned to the fact that he was to marry a "hag" (excuse the poor language) and didn't seem to care when you were ugly, because you would be ugly during atleast some part of the day (does that make sense?). Forgive the stumblings of this little old lady, I am not so eloquent as some may be ...

The Knight of Surcoat said...

Well, future wife: Thank you for this kind review of my future character. I have always been somewhat resigned when I read these tales of my more adult self, and while things are not always about fighting and proving my prowess, I am glad that my other qualities are those that others admire...

Ygrene said...

I feel pity for you Dame Ragnell. You have such little faith in Arthur and yet you had to rely on him to allow you your wish. Such heavy criticism of him seems unloyal and unjust. You choice in a knight however shows your true values. You seem to cherish a devotion that goes deeper than the flesh. It pains me however to feel that you yourself will not feel the same devotion for Gawain as he will show for you. I find you to be an opportunistic individual, which in this case proved to be useful, but completely devoid of true love and devotion. if a man were willing to marry you and have you half beautiful and half ugly, and make that choice, is it not your duty to love and respect him? I find that it is you who wanted your beauty always. Such a high pedistal of rightiousness you have created does not deserve to have your filth upon it. Above all else you manipulated the situation to suite an outcome that you favored rather than putting the proposition out and being grateful for the good fortune a "hag" would be granted. Do not glote about what you have done my dear, it surely is not somthing to be proud of. Congradulations on winning such a fine prize and makeing yourself into someone of great beauty.

Guinevere said...

After losing your beauty due to being cursed I understand your desire to return to your natural form. I can't imagine the pain and shame you suffered while shaped as the loathly lady. I ponder why you were cursed, perhaps jealousy over your beauty. Beauty is just one face that people see, I know this face well. People always see me for my great beauty and forget that there is more to me, much more. I think you underestimate King Arthur. He is not as weak as you make him out to be, his chivalrous nature provoked many emotions in him when facing the dilemma of answering the riddle.He looked to Gawain for assistance because Gawain has proven time and again to be a reasonable, helpful, insightful friend. Gawain is a just and honorable knight whose loyalty to the King is unquestionable. His decision to marry you ended happily and all is well in the land. Let us move forward happily together and celebrate the lives fortune has blessed us with. Long live King Arthur!

Sir Kay said...

I also must say that Gawain is braver a man than I to marry a hag such as that one. Though I squirm to say it, perhaps there is at least one knight in Camelot who is more deserving than myself, reserving King Arthur of course. People often forget, that I am brother to the King, foster or not. I would've married that hag, but not as gladly or quickly as Gawain had.