Sunday, November 30, 2008

Gaiman's Delightful Story!

Alas! I believe I have finally met my match! Seldom have I read works of superior quality, and yet, I was captivated by Neil Gaiman's "Chivalry". It was well-written, possessing all the essential elements of a modern short-story, and oh! I am ever fascinated by Mr. Gaiman's voice and ability to take Arthurian Legend and mold it into something so compelling...so beautiful! Truly I tell you, I am envious. I dread what images this man could conjure forth.... While it would be entirely impossible to replace the honeysuckle and the hazel wood, it is probable that a man of such talent could rival my lai concerning Tristan and Isolde. May such a day never dawn!

Despite the beauty inherent in his tale, there are weaknesses in Gaiman's work. First, Marie (the shopkeeper) should have been more likeable. I do not believe that a girl like the one presented to us is WORTHY of such a fine knight as Galaad. She should have been nicer to Mrs. Whitaker. She should have been more receptive to tales of the Grail. Perhaps with such minor changes, I might be able to see her as deserving of the ending that she received. A second weakness in Gaimain's armor is the simple fact that Mrs. Whitaker SHOULD have taken the apple. What use is the Philosopher's Stone and the Phoenix's Egg without it? Perhaps if Gaimain had developed Mrs. Whitaker's attachment to her deceased husband more I would have been more apt to believe the tale's later developments. What else--besides love and devotion to her deceased husband--could hold Mrs. Whitaker back from taking the apple? I can think of none, and as a writer devoted to portraying the many faces of love, I would know.

Altogether, Gaiman did a commendable job. I thoroughly enjoyed his work. I may need to keep an eye on this young man....

1 comment:

Maid Frances said...

I quite agree with Marie about her comments on Sir Galahad. As a knight of the round table, I too feel his character should have been treated with more respect. He is not some simpleton that just goes around helping old ladies all day. He is a majestic knight of the round table that has a quest that he must complete. Although his actions in assisting the elderly woman were very chivalric, one must remember that it is our duty as knights to do what ever our duty or task requires of us. If perphaps I had been as chivalric as Sir Galahad, I would not have betrayed my king in mind and deeds. Such is the life of a knight to always seek what we cannot have.