Monday, November 10, 2008

A Toast to Sir Gawain!

I would like to propose a toast to Sir Gawain, a man and knight who is well loved throughout the land for his generous and noble nature.



Sir Gawain well deserves the praise as a Knight of the Round Table. Sir Gawain is indeed a man blessed with loyalty and courage. He was willing to do anything to save the life of King Arthur, the most noble ruler in the land. He was even willing to wed a woman he did not love, a woman who was, by all accounts, a loathsome creature with unbearable looks. When King Arthur feared for his life, Sir Gawain was able to soothe his friend and ruler. And he unselfishly offered his own happiness and even his life, if necessary, to Arthur.



Dame Ragnell, despite the loathsome way she looked and acted to ensnare Gawain, made the right choice, for there is no other knight as great and honorable as Gawain, except maybe myself. But I am already wed to the fairest lady of the land, Isolde. And Gawain accepted his bride to be with more grace than many others did; indeed the ladies of the land all mourned the impending marriage, and even though many urged Dame Ragnell and Sir Gawain to wed in secret, Sir Gawainwas brave enough to face the public. And his bravery and strength were rewarded in the end, when the loathsome Dame Ragnell returned to her previous beautiful form.



And so, a toast, to Sir Gawain and his lovely bride, the Dame Ragnell. Long may your marriage and love last!

3 comments:

The Knight of Surcoat said...

I gladly accept your toast, even though it is directed at my more courteous self.

I personally think I am courteous as well, I am just more interested in the pysical aspects of the world than my older counterpart. I do save damsels and guard my honor as well as any knight should. That is not to say I don't enjoy activities out of armor, it is just who I am. A knight is a knight, it's more than a vocation, it's a life.

Ygrene said...

Do you not see some of a resemblance to your fair lady in Dame Ragnell? Such trickory and whit in a woman! Dame Ragnelll di not love Gawain. She used him to get what she desired and end a curse. Although that is a pity isnt it not more right that your women obey and love you unconditionally? Gawain did a great honor to the ugly hag and her motives were not pure! She did not act out of extreme devotion for Gawain. I feel sorry for him to have had to endure such a traumatic experience. She should love him and love him with her whole self and not act out of selfishness. It is true the women of the lands will mourn the marraige becuase it is a loss. Someone more deserving should have known the love of Gawain.

Maid Frances said...

Oh if only King Arthur had put such a quest before me so as to distract my thoughts and send me away from his court. I believe if he had done this sooner I might not be so incurably in love with good Queen Guinevere. I, like Gawain, would do anything for the King and would like to congratulate Gawain for his unyeilding devotion and faith in his king's orders. The only way I can be loyal to my king is to stay away from his court and moreover his wife. Perhaps if I had been the one sent on this quest, if she should have wanted to marry me I would have been content with her and left Guinevere alone. After all I am the best jouster and the best looking knight in the land.