Saturday, October 30, 2010

Uhhhh...anyone want to step up here?

OK...seriously...that thing that happened the other day while we were all gathered for a feast at Christmastime...yeah...a little bit embarrassing to say the least gentlemen!

Now listen, I understand...it's Christmas...you have a nice big turkey leg on your plate and your cup is full of the finest ale...you have some presents you want to open...I get it...but to not step up and defend this court when a ghastly green man on a green horse comes in and challenges you all, is quite humiliating don't you think?

Thankfully the young Gawain, my own blood, grew brass ones large enough to do something about it! Granted, he wouldn't have been my first choice, but alas, it came to the point where I, Arthur, King of the Britons, almost had to face the challenge myself...and we can't be having that now can we?

Anyways, I just wanted to bring this to all of your attention, because I was quite ashamed by the occurrences in my court on that eve. Now, maybe I should completely stop letting random people interrupt our dinner, and YES, maybe I shall forgo the allowance of EVERY single wish, demand or request by every gate crasher...but maybe, next time, you guys could help a King out here and not make us all look so bad!

Speaking of looking bad...how crazy was it when that knight's head was rolling on the ground? Creeeeepy!!!

3 comments:

Mordred said...

I certainly agree. You court IS embarrassing. How pathetic that none of you had the courage to stand up and fight.

At the same time, though, I think it's silly that you let any of your men go against the Green Knight. After all the mystical things that have happened in your life, why on Earth would you accept a challenge where someone says that they will be back to behead you? You seem to have a very strange obsession with things that should not work out in your favor.

Anyway, Arthur, if you were stupid enough to let this man into your court, you should have been brave enough to accept his challenge. I'm not saying that you didn't stand up...eventually. But then you let the first man who spoke up fight a battle for you. Typical.

How I wish you had accepted this challenge. The Green Knight would certainly be doing me a favor by defeating you, as I'm certain he would have.

Gwendoloena said...

My Lord Arthur, I find this lack of action within the court quite displeasing as well. Certainly, you are said to have the best and most loyal knights! How could not one of them accept the challenge presented by this Green Knight? After you took it upon yourself to accept the challenge, Sir Gawain respectfully stopped you and took your place. His loyalty to you is outstanding, and his courteous ways distinguish him from other knights. He even asked permission to leave my side, as I am your queen! He certainly knows how to show his respect, and evidently is courageous enough to take action against such challenges and interruptions in this court.

Adam Overbay said...

My Liege,

While I would have happily stepped up to the challenge, (provided Kay stepped up as well,) my absence at the court precludes me from engaging in such activities as Christmastime frolickings, games of general merriment, and the occasional random beheading.

It's good to see young Gawain taking the lead in such things. While the rest of the court has slowly succumb to the softness that a lack of combat brings on, Gawain has remembered the old ways. Whether it's taking up a wicked axe to behead a green interloper in the court itself, or making a pilgrimage through the wilderness, battling trolls, boars, and other beasts of the forest, the lad certainly has the makings of a fine knight. His skill at diplomatic speech does him credit as well. He is reasonable, but firm, and is not swayed by the silvered tongues of those he encounters, but keeps his wits and his honor intact.

Keep an eye on this young knight, m'Lord.

Yrs Hmbly,
Bedwyr