Monday, October 11, 2010

Ah, the ignorance of youth!

What a fool I have been! It has been three years since the lovely Isolde and I drank a wicked love potion, and finally its sickening effects have worn off. Living on wild beasts that I killed in the forest was a miserable existence. I had to make peace with my uncle, King Mark, to save myself, and Isolde (whom I love…but I’m not IN love with) from the torture of living in secret together. Thank goodness for the hermit who has helped us back into the good grace of the king. Aside from the little white lie denying our love affair, there will be no more trickery for us!

Well, maybe a little more, but just so Isolde does not have to lie before God when taking her oath that no man has been between her legs but her husband and the leper who carried her across the marsh (which was me! Hahaha what a clever plan that was!). But those damn treacherous barons who continue to make trouble for us! Oh, I love my dear uncle but what a fool he is to allow himself to be manipulated again and again by those bastards! I will get my revenge on them, I swear it!!

2 comments:

Marie de France said...

Tristan, your character is one that varies very much from the one I am most familiar with. Isn’t it peculiar that some writers put a twist on true love? Forcing the reason behind it to be mere witchcraft? Why, it seems to me that nearly no one is willing to believe that Love can rule over any other feeling. What a sad thing it is that Love is so often denied and replaced with silly forms of trickery or clever plans to deny what is truly there. A potion caused their love – madness! Why must we tiptoe around this emotion? Can it be that wedlock is not the answer to everyone’s desires? Though I do not at all mean to state ladies should be going around being lustful but why must it be that love has to have a logical explanation. Love is not logical, that is the point of it. It captivates those it encounters, perhaps so much that it feels like witchcraft – but it’s not! It’s Love! Now, I’m aware everyone is entitled to their own view but why deny Love? Isn’t it magic enough?

Isolde said...

If you do not know a thing about love, I say that is a great opportunity, then one can define it themselves. I too believe Tristan that our love affair has been a rocky one, and that this potion has made our lives far more complicated than I would have wished. However, to feel such a love that was true and all consuming, was well worth it to me, even if we had to live like savages in the forest! I've missed thee since the potion has worn off and often think of and long for, our lost love.