Thursday, October 7, 2010

Cruel, to be kind….

I have been misjudged in my actions during the incestuous liaison that existed between my nephew Tristan and my beloved Isolde. Some have called me gullible, foolish and cruel as I stumbled in the dark, surrounded by treachery. The throne is truly a lonely perch, the ruler forever destined to stand alone as nobles and sycophants tumble from the woodwork. Yet may I remind you, these tales of my actions are told by another’s pen, a man who has his sympathies solely with the traitorous pair, declaring that their love was proof against all punishment or censure. This cannot be, for as a monarch, I cannot be seen to be weak in a matter that lies upon my very doorstep. To not have put Isolde to her just punishment would cost me my kingdom and the lives of my people….

I will admit that I spoke out of anger and despair when I put her to death without a trial and the stains upon my mortal soul that giving her to the lecherous lepers as a worst punishment shall ne’er be cleansed away. Yet I ask you, who here can say that they have not been driven mad with passionate anger and a lust for revenge? Once my reason returned I truly felt unending guilt for what I had done, thus when I saw my dears in the forest, so innocently beautiful, I thanked God that I had not destroyed them. This Beroul who seeks to know my heart cannot ever know the sadness and joy that I feel when I think of my kinsmen and my wife, lost to me in the wild evergreen……

2 comments:

jbyrnes227 said...

King Mark,

I feel for you; as I have not been in your position, I can understand the tumultuous emotions you are experiencing – I have been on the other side of this type of relationship. Although I owe my king my allegiance and devotion, my love and heart belong to my queen. Just like with Tristan and your Isolde, myself and the queen could not fight our love, even though we knew that nothing good could come of it. I do not think you wise and compassionate as a king should be when you did not allow Isolde a trial. I can honestly say that I have never been driven mad with passionate anger and lust for revenge; I have done all in my power to remain a loyal servant to my queen, upholding honor wherever possible.

Isolde said...

Your Isolde? I shall not be made to be a possession of a man Sir Lancelot, thank you! My heart and soul belong to Tristan and now that it has been exposed I fear not the punishment to which I shall be summoned. I'd rather the King send me off to lepers, than to subject me to a trial in which we all know that this love between Tristan and I is real and non-forgiving. And for you King Mark, take your apologies and sorrow away to your own conscious, for they have no place with me! That is all...