Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Marriage Cannot Find Love Like One's Heart

How is it that the truest love is always forbidden? The arrangements of marriage, though should be followed and not dismissed, leave little hope for love found in its truest form. Tristan and Isolde have a love deeper than that of Isolde and Mark, should this be? The union of marriage does not account for feeling but rather follows a pattern of ancestry to keep bloodlines. Is that love? Of course not! Therefore leaving the power of love to be diminished to wishful thinking. Should a wife have to make herself deny what she truly feels to keep the sanctity of marriage? I know that Mark feels he truly loves Isolde but is that only his Mind overruling his Heart? Isolde is not seen as a prize to Tristan, but a lover. I feel that Mark is most unruly in banishing Tristan because Isolde is not seen as a human so much as a prize. Knowing of Tristan’s love for his wife, that was won not freely chosen, makes Mark angry like a child that sees someone else using their toys. Does Mark not think his wife, perhaps, wanted to choose her own lover (if Isolde even thinks of Mark as her lover, at all)? The idea of love as a real force is often denied but where it is as powerful as the love between Tristan and Isolde, it should be cherished.

3 comments:

John said...

Any love that goes against the commandments of God is not real love. All love must be in observance of the Lord our God. Tristan and Isolde need to respect the laws that have been set forth by God. In spite of their frivalities I appreciate Tristan's abilities as knight, now if other knights could be as skilled as him, but held their observances to the Lord we could all be better off.

Christabel said...

I must speak my heart and say that to me Isolde was the wife of my body, the one that I vowed to cherish and protect before God and my kingdom. When I saw that my wife had not only broken her vow to me, but had treated me with contempt in her evasions and subterfuges, I lost all reason. This does not excuse my actions but neither does love, even the deepest, most profound, excuse the actions of a wife who betrays her marriage vow. What good it is to swear before the Almighty himself, only to cast it aside?

Isolde said...

Does the noble King Mark presume then that my love is not but true in thy heart? That because you see it as sinful, that it is not real and alive? Oh! But, kind Sir that is what I feel in my heart, true love under Gods witness and I'm not ashamed! I do feel sorry that it had to happen this way, that I had to betray you, but in following my heart I felt that that was truly what God wanted. Furthermore, how happy would you have been to know that, if I had stayed with you in your kingdom, that my heart and mind were with another man far away?