Monday, September 29, 2008

Where Is The Justice!?

An execution serves them right I say. If Tristan was so much of a fool to get caught with another's lady, a KINGS QUEEN, no less, than off with his head, burn him at the stake, draw and quarter him what have you. It seems to me that there be no honest woman in all of this realm, what with that Lancelot fellow breaking the bars just so he could sleep with Lady Guinevere, WHILE I WAS IN THE SAME ROOM, MIND YOU! The disgrace of it all sickens me. I would've performed much more admirably in the face of such adversity I assure you. Potions and trickery have no hold over such a valiant warrior as I.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am curious, Sir Kay. Are you so angered that there is no so-called justice in the land and no truly "chaste" women left? Or are you more angered because you too were made a fool of? After all, not only was Sir Lancelot able to break into the Queen's room while you slept in the room, but your own lady was not true to you, as proved by the mantle delivered to King Arthur. So, pray tell me, Sir Kay, why are you so indignant that you say Lady Isolde and I deserve death. Is it because of our actions, due in no small part to a potion? Or is it due to your own humiliation?

Dame Ragnell said...

Sir Kay, why would it be fair if a man went away from his wife to settle his desires, but a wife may not do the same thing? A woman has the power the same as your men do to fulfill their desires whoever they please. Even your own love did not appear as "chaste" as you claimed her to be. Would that be the fault of your wife's insatiable desires? Or your lacking the ablitiy to satisfy her in your own chaste way?

Marie de France said...

I must admit, Dame Ragnell suggests an interesting philosophy. I myself believe that the attempted execution of Isolde and Tristan was a tyrannical act by a little man. Could King Mark not see that he was interfering with love? Love knows no boundaries--even the bonds of loveless holy matrimony. Apparently Sir Kay has not experienced real love...and no author has considered him a worthy character for love's transforming properties...a pity really. Some change may do him good.