Monday, September 1, 2008

For Those Lowly Men

For those who have taken the time to see the depths in my writing, I praise thee. Yet, I tire of countless inquiries as the nature and purpose of seemingly different religous allusions. I praise those who understand, and even as I do not deserve those who do not understand, I will explain. I do not mention god, I do not mention christ. Translation tends to, using a modern expresion, put words in the mouth. My eulogy honors the lord who went and returned, the one who made cowards couragous. Those who know the lord, know his name, for he went and returned with the spoils of Annwn. I sing the praise of the lord Arthur, and of the seven who returned. I honor these men who did not cower. I honor the lord, Arthur, the king of the land, who, with unspeakable valor illuminated the darkness for those who followed and returned victorious. For those lowly men who do not know the hour of midday the lord was born, I, nor he, does not deserve thee, for they miss the essence of this eulogy and in doing so, the lord Arthur himself.

1 comment:

Marie de France said...

Oh, Taliesin! While I am in constant awe of your vast talent and your contribution to the Aruthurian cannon, I must admit, your work lacks a crucial element. Where are the heroines of King Arthur's court in your writings? Please do not tell me that "by the breath of nine maidens it was kindled" is all you have to say about the subject. There would be no "Arthur" without his Queen--without the women of his court.

Perhaps I am being a bit conceited in this comment (but as you may know I am quite popular nowadays), but this flaw in your writing is so disturbing that I have to question if you truly were a contemporary of Arthur's. Where are the heroics? The chilvary? The romance? You see, my dear, readers of Arthurian Legend live for this stuff. And rightly so! I always incorporate these elements in my tales; thus, don't be surprised if my manuscripts are read more than yours. Please do not nurse negative feelings toward me Taliesin, but watch out when the glass ceiling cracks.

Sincerely, Marie de France