Sunday, September 14, 2008

Lancelot the Knight

It is with a heavy heart that I write this, for I am burdened with secrets and a love that surpasses that for my husband, King Arthur. The journey to Melegant's castle was arduous and dangerous. I was afraid of Melegant, my kidnapper. His father ensured my safety for which I will ever be grateful for. I prayed daily for my rescue. I grieved for missing Camelot and wondered if I would ever return. My faith and love kept my wits intact. My passion and longing for Lancelot knowing no boundaries transcended castle walls and spurred him to rescue me. I was overwhelmed when he arrived and dueled Melegant. Lancelot proved with his chivalrous acts that his heart he gave to me. I teased him not realizing he mistook my joke and both of us nearly died from believing the other lost. That pain was more than I had ever felt, it was if my heart had stopped when I heard of his death. The joy that I knew when hearing that he was in fact alive cannot compare to any other I have experienced. Reuniting with Lancelot solidified my love, I had to express it. Arranging our tryst took careful and patient planning. I never once questioned the burning desire I had for him. I was so overcome with want of him that my mind erased Arthur from all consciousness. I will not divulge any more about that night as my integrity and Sir Kay's came into question the next morning. Lancelot and Melegant again met in battle for the King to once again stop it. How I despised Melegant and wished for Lancelot to end his days. My hatred for Melegant grew after his cunning plan that tricked Lancelot as well as myself, Sir Kay, and Sir Gawain. For the second time I questioned Lancelot's disappearance and whether I would ever set my eyes upon his. Seeing him disguised as the Red Knight returned the hope I had lost. I used my wits to discover the Red Knights identity and his faithfulness to me. How he loves me! To do all that I bid! After returning to Arthur I tried to forget my love for Lancelot, but it will never perish. I was overcome with joy when Lancelot returned to fight Melegant. I worry that I showed him too much affection. I ponder if the King has any indication of what has passed between us. When Lancelot beheaded Melegant I was ecstatic. I want to keep our love a secret, but how? I cannot look at him and not think of all that has transpired since I was first kidnapped. Would another tryst be possible? I shan't think of such, but I cannot restrain my passion. Is it fate?

2 comments:

olwen said...

Due to the mystical powers that surround Camelot, I do implore you to have no other trysts with Sir Lancelot for you should keep no secrets from Arthur. Arthur has the ability and power to know many things. Arthur is a kind and noble king, but I fear your lives may be endanger if you continue to have these trysts. Your husband loves you very much and your betrayal would cause him much anguish. And although his love is great he would find it necessary to punish both of you.

Taliesin said...

Since I can not address Sir Lancelot himself, as is proper, I will address you my lady. Of all the men to betray, could you not find one of those lowly men without honor and decency? Arthur is the finest king of this age with thousands loyal to him. Yet, the only ones who betry him are you and Sir Lancelot. Forgive me for being blunt my lady, by to record you trysts in this manner is befit of a harlet.