Monday, September 15, 2008

I Only Have Eyes for Guinevere

I, Sir Lancelot, take the concept of chilvalry most seriously and hold it second highest to my dear lady, the Queen Guinevere. Although I regard my honor and reputation two of my most important features, I was willing to put them at risk just to find out where my lady, my one true love, the Queen was taken to. As everyone knows, to ride in the cart is one of the most heinous embarassments known to man, yet I did it because of my eternal love and devotion to my lady. I undertook the arduous task of traversing by the Underwater Bridge and the Sword Bridge all for the love of my fair Queen. At times I was so weak and confused by my task that I could not speak, forgot my own name and pledged promises to men and women alike that I would not have beed glad to carry out, for example, promising to sleep with a young lady solely to gain lodging for an night's rest. Yet, all throughout my many trials and tribulations, one thing remained constant; love. I believe I proved my unfaltering devotion to my lady when I completely set aside my honor and courage in battle to do poorly at the tournaments to please her. For the rest of my days, her wish was my command. Only by remebering and remaining loyal to my love was I able to accomplish such daring feats in battle and escape with my life from the evil prince Meleagant. Although I am supremely loyal to my liege King Arthur, I cannot deny the burning passion that permeates to the core of my being, for the only woman I will ever, wish to ever, and can ever love, my queen. Our love is a secret love that can only be expressed in private, but I fear that the overwhelming feeling that shows through our very eyes can be seen by all. One day I am sure our secret will be discovered, but until that day we shall perservere until our next our eyes meet across a room or my hand brushes hers as we cross paths. Never can we show to the world what we truly feel in our hearts.

2 comments:

Bertilak's Lady said...

Such a beautiful lady Guinevere...And such a shallow man you are, going mad over a woman who is married. Going through things a man would never go through, all for a woman...Getting lost in your thoughts? What is that? It's ridiculous, a man with such strengths and intelligence, proving the world the complete opposite with his actions, showing weakness for a woman who is not even his. Sad.

Marie de France said...

Lady Bertilak! Your words are like daggers! Can you not read what you have written? Your words attempt to poison the world's most beautiful treasure, that is, true love. Yes, it is unfortunate that Guinevere is a married woman--and married to an honorable man at that--but love cannot always abide by the restrictions society would attempt to place upon it. It is all-consuming and we, as insignificant beings, cannot deign when and where it will seize us. We cannot choose whom we will love anymore than we can choose our own eye color while in the womb. I cannot help but see parallels between Guinevere and Lancelot's love to that of Isolde and Tristan's. It matters not that Guinevere is married; the only thing of any import in this situation is that the love between them is shared equally. If they can manage this one thing, than no one, save God, should be allowed to judge them.