Monday, September 29, 2008

That's Nice

Well, I must say that I am utterly confused by these new-wave romances! In my day, if a young man was interested in a young lady, then he would make sure that she wasn't married to a family member!

But I do have a confession, this story of Tristian and Isolde do remind me so much of my romance novels that I am so fond of. Imagine being rescued by a handsome, strong man who was utterly in love with you ... just sends shivers down my spine! And running away together to live in the woods, how primitive and romantic! It is almost a cross between the story of Romeo and Juliet combined Robin Hood and Maid Marian (not that Beroul or Tristain and Isolde would know who those people are ... maybe more along the lines of the love triangle between King Arthur, Lancelot, and the Queen G.)

Alas, poor Tristian and Isolde, the love they felt for each other was caused by a love potion that wore off after three years. Just goes to show, maybe the romantic, passionate love between characters can only be caused by magic or end in misfortune. What does that say about love in general? Can it exist in "real life"? Makes this old lady happy to just live vicariously through her love stories.

1 comment:

Gawain said...

Lady Bertalik, I can agree with you on your thoughts of romances, they are far too delicate and based on superficiality nowadays. As a knight, I practice the art of courtly love to a great degree, and no fair maiden shall ever go unprotected or unfulfilled if I can help it.

I have known little of romantic love in my days; my duties are as a noble knight to my uncle, King Arthur of Camelot, and to live my life as just as I may gather. It is true however, that I have seen many a great beauty in my days in the royal court and the wilderness, though I do not let myself succumb to such temptations of the flesh.

I grieve for Tristan and Isolde, for although I do not have a story of my own great love to lament about, I have a great deal of emotion in my heart for the subjects of love and sentiment. Their tragic tale of unfortunate love and treachery make me sad for them, for they too were doomed through enchantment of magic, much like I with Morgana.

Mrs. Whitaker, dear old lady, I hope you find some hope in the story of Tristan and Isolde, for even though their love was cut short, it is impossible to deny that the love did not exist.