Sunday, September 28, 2008

To set the record staight...

I am not a simpleton. I have heard many a criticism from my fellow knights in regards to my behavior regarding the lovely Lady Isolde. Ah Isolde! She is the most beautiful and virtuous lady of the land. Many a man has criticized me for not taking her as mine when first we met on that arduous journey back to my uncle, King Mark. Ha! I am no fool – we would have been dead as soon as we set foot on land, should we have declared ourselves then. Luckily I had the good sense to explain this to my dear lady, who would have much preferred to be together openly. Alas! We could not, for it would not have been the intelligent thing to do. And I am nothing if not intelligent.


The King’s henchmen thought they would outsmart me by planting traps and turning my uncle, the king, against me. The trick with the flour was a nice touch and in truth it was only due to my lady’s insistence that I visit her that night that we were caught. And as for that imbecile, Beroul, I am insulted that he would portray me as such a simpleminded, lust-addled fool. My lady Isolde was beautiful, yes, and kind, but she was no where near as devious as the idiotic Beroul made her out to be. Indeed, many of the plans that “Isolde” thought up were mine – the Lord only knows what he was thinking when he rendered my Isolde as a devious viper and myself an addled fool. Rest assured that were the fool around me, I would set him straight in the most humiliating way possible. And let this be a warning, my friends, that I will do anything to defend my lady’s honor and my own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tristan my boy you have such fire in your heart. Your lust for the dear Isolde has turned you into a devious and conniving creature. You must never forget that if not for King Mark's guidance and discipline you would not be the knight you are today. It seems a treachery that you would put your desires before the good of this kingdom. I understand what it is like to be in love and lust something so badly you it drives you mad. But great knights must show restraint and know that their time will come. You indeed were tested, given a great opportunity to show your valor, and you failed.