Thursday, November 11, 2010

King Arthur and the Wedding of Sir Gawain and Dame Ranelle

How come Arthur can just simply be mentioned in a story and suddenly the story is about him? I mean, he has an important part in this story, but it's not about him. This story should be about Gawain and his chivalry!
I mean, not that I'm a fan of Gawain's either, but it seems to me that Gawain deserves better than this (or at least that Arthur deserves less). Half of this story is taken up by talking about Arthur and how he can't even answer a simple question. He breaks promises that he makes and he has such big mouth! Then he has the audacity to bring someone else in to solve his problems. I actually feel sorry for Gawain!
I mean, on top of it all, Gawain falls for the girl (who Arthur sets him up with) and then she dies! Some matchmaker Arthur is.

4 comments:

Gwendoloena said...

Gawain chose to become involved in Arthur's plight as Gawain is a most loyal and exceptional knight! He did it out of love for Arthur, and did what he believed was necessary in order to save the beloved King! How dare you insult either of these men, as they are most virtuous and trustworthy - something I find you to lack! Not to mention, if you have such a problem with my lord Arthur, then why not set him up for some tricks and troubles as this Sir Gromer has done? Maybe you were behind this to begin with, so that you could try and find an easy way to kill the King. Unfortunately for you, I foresee that it will not be such an easy task. As a matter of fact, it will be the end of you, whether or not it is the end of Arthur.

The Green Knight said...

I thought that the way in which King Arthur was portrayed in this piece was ideal. He was brought on the scene enough times to let the readers know just how much he actually needs others. He is not able to do it all on his own; and I think that that was what impressed me the most when I had my encounter with him: that he was willing to allow Sir Gawain to help him when I challenged him. So although you have the feelings that you you do towards him, do try to see it from the other perspective...or else it might be your head I try for next.

Sir Gromer Somer said...

Too bad the king was unable to save himself like a true ruler, Gwendoloena. And Sir Green Knight, you gave an open challenge which Arthur ALLOWED Gawain to accept. No doubt he was too scared to face you. I gave a direct challenge, and Arthur ran away to his little knight friend for help. Such cowardice is abhorrent.

C40 said...

Ahhh Mordy, I sense some sort of tension between us here...always attack, attack, attack. But alas, you are young and feeble minded, so I shall let it pass and hope that in due time you shall come to your senses and stop being so defensive about things which are truly out of all are control in this world. For you see, it is now King Arthur who makes the story of The Wedding of Sir Gawain and Dame Ragnelle, but rather it is YOU who makes each story about ME!