Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Gallant Hero's Digression

Sir Gawain has made some regrettable choices but is not out of reach of redemption for he is indeed an honourable knight. None at the round table but he dared come out and confront and challenge the dreadful Green Knight. The trickery the Green Knight employs seems quite frightening but so too was the stature of my father and the challenges he posed. Gawain has quite a bargain to fulfill but, as I have seen in my experience, the knights and the blood of King Arthur have the strength to overcome many obstacles which may seem impossible. Despite this, Sir Gawain's honour seems to be at risk. The wife of the host that harbours him has thoughts toward him which involve being untrue to her husband which would ruin the honour of the two of them. Sir Gawain seems to be quick to pay back all he receives to his host but the protective girdle which he apparently does not return will spell it for him. Experience tells me there is nothing he can receive from this point that can have any desirable result if he does not turn over this token to his host. Without his honour, this great knight will see that nothing he could gain in his quest can reward him.

2 comments:

Sir Launfal said...

Quite the hunt, here. Morgana hates Guinevere, and is hunting for the shame of Arthur's Court. Bertilak's Lady is pursuing Gawain. The Green Knight is after Gawain's head. Such a noble knight should not suffer such indignities. Ah, what trickery and deceit we have here! 'Tis sorcery of the foulest sort! By Almighty Jesu, I should give them my steel!

And Olwen, you have my condolences. Losing a father to gain a husband is a raw deal, indeed.

Sir Kay said...

I, Sir Kay, I can totally appreciate that Sir Gawain is a great and brave/valiant Knight. The only gripe I have, is that given a real opportunity i would prove my self and then same. I realize how the maidens all love Lancelot, and Gawain is famous for his valor. But I don't think I get enough credit for the loyalty I show to the King and our people. I am constantly showing my valor by being the most loyal Knight, but I seem to get no recognition. All I ask is that my fellow knights and country men notice how noble and great I am for our King, and country.