Tuesday, November 30, 2010

An End of Kings

Sirs-

I am writing today concerning the most unsatisfactory treatment given to our Liege and his associated Court by one Sir Thomas Malory.

My first point of contention is his portrayal of the King as weak willed. How easily manipulated by Mordred and company! He had our Liege lose half of his Round Table simply because Lancelot held so much sway over their hearts. According to Sir Malory, Arthur could not even prevent Gawain from running roughshod over much of Normandy chasing after Lancelot. I cannot abide all the weeping and swooning!

Secondly, is the King dead or isn't he? Mallory is terribly wishy-washy about the whole affair. He has 'yours truly' taking up a hermit's life, running errands for a dying Arthur here and there, all in great detail, but he can't seem to make up his mind whether the King actually snuffed it or not. Lucan and I dragged the King off the battlefield, the least Sir Malory can do is correctly identify his final resting place.

Finally, I have my own, personal grievances with Sir Malory. Apparently he has decided that my skill at negotiation and diplomacy is of such small consequence that a small serpent can undo what took me several weeks to construct. Mordred had planned on attacking under any circumstances, and the adder played no role in the entire affair. Also, he makes me out to be a liar, and possibly a thief! I certainly argued with Arthur on his death's bed, I advised him to not toss the sword into the lake, but once his mind was set to it, I carried out his wishes at once! Such is the office of the Cup Bearer, to be stalwart and trusted in all things. Sir Malory has aggrieved me greatly, especially considering the ruffian and na'er-do-well which he is himself.

Yrs.,
Bedwyr

P.S. - Lancelot, your mother asked me to tell you she misses you and wishes you would visit, or at least write, more often.

1 comment:

jbyrnes227 said...

Bedwyr,

I only somewhat agree with you when you point out Malory's portrayals. Concerning King Arthur, however, you must admit that he can be easily swayed if anyone shows him the slightest pressure, and he does tend to meekly adhere to his knights' wishes rather than his own. I thought this was a monarchy, not a democracy. But I do agree with you that all the weeping and swooning is a bit much.

Also, for Malory to keep us in the dark with Arthur's death is just plain wrong. We have every right to know whether our beloved king has perished or if life still flows in his blood.

In my humble opinion, Malory depicted me in the wrong light. I am not half so brace or as rash and callous as he makes me out to be. My love for the queen drives everything I do, and foolhardy sot that I am, I am ofttimes caught unawares and so deep in thought that I nearly loose these battles; battles, may I add that find me, not I them.