Monday, December 8, 2008

Excalibur

Although It pains me to see myself left out of the movie Excalibur, I respect the film nontheless. It is a fairly accurate depiction of the life and times of King Arthur. Although it was fairly inappropriate, I enjoyed seeing Merlin use his magic help Uther trick Ygraine into think he was her husband. I also liked how Arthur stumbles across Excalibur in the woods and easily removes it from the stone. Much like in many readings Arthur takes control of his kingdom quickly, proving himself in not only battle but judgement as well. Merlin was my favorite character because he was very humorous, the things he said and way he said them made me laugh uncontrollably. The only part I did not like so much was the end. The battle between Mordred and Arthur is unrealistic because all Mordred does is drive a lance through Arthur's chest. Arthur doesnt try to stop it from happenning at all. Its true that this is how Arthur falls and he does get to kill Mordred fairly easily as well, but they should have had the battle last more than five seconds.

No comments: