Monday, December 8, 2008

The Brave Sir Robin

Today I Sir Bertilak had the honor of viewing Monty Python and the Holy Grail, a most epic comedy. I thought it had an interesting take on the quests of King Arthur and his knights. There were plenty of confusing arguments, tests, trials and a dreaded killer rabbit. The one character that I must comment on is the somewhat "Cowardly" Sir Robin. It was made very apparent that whenever Sir Robin was confronted with a dangerous situation he would either run away or "soil his armor". If Morgana were to give a color to make him shine it would be the brightest Yellow. I consider it an insult to knighthood that he should act like such a wussy. Even his servants would make up songs mocking how much of a coward he was. I enjoyed at the end when the knights confront the questions near the bridge of the dead. Arthur nominates Robin to go first and he quickly says Lancelot should do it. Lancelot being the courageous and somewhat psychopathic knight he is stands up to the challenge with ease. When Robin sees this he finally shows a little backbone and steps up to go next saying "That looks easy". He eventually meets his demise anyway, as he cannot remember the capital of Syria and is launched into the infinite abyss.

1 comment:

Darcy said...

Indeed, I would give them the color of Yellow. Although I never have understood the negative associations with the color. I enjoy yellow things sunflowers, the sun, butter, and of course gold. You would think the color of the sun who sustains life here would be a more positively associated color. But as it is the color of social chastisement and cowardice, I will reward Sir Robyn with it. Maybe even a yellow girdle, but truthly I do not think even a girdle could help him achieve courage.