Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What a tale! What a tale!

It is always a pleasure to recount the days by which my King Arthur was born into the world, and rose to his throne!  I, Valven, Walwain, Gawain, whichever name you wish to use, as one among his most favored knights know these stories much better than many, having spent so much time in conversation with His Majesty, and there are many things in this account that has not been included.  How amused Arthur would be if some of the things I knew were to come to light.

For example, did you know that the Once and Future King was one night sleeping in his tent during one of his many campaigns against the foul Saxons when two assassins of the enemy sneaked into his camp by cover of night, slew his loyal guards with great skill in utter silence, and entered the King's tent with weapons drawn, about to slit his throat?  My King heard them lift the folds of his tent and when he saw the bodies of his watchmen and the knives of the spies, he flew forward in a great rage, not stopping for a moment to draw his weapon, for it was not needed.  He grabbed one man about the neck with such strength, and released such a mighty howl as to wake the entire mass of his army and his enemy's from their slumber, and with the strength that only a man who can pull the Excalibur from the stone could posses, he crushed the man's neck in two like it was a blade of grass between a giant's fingers.  As his loyal soldiers, myself included woke and came rushing to the defense of our King with great shame and rage, for we let the enemy draw so close to him in our neglectful sleep, we saw Arthur holding the second assassin against the side of a wagon, while shouting:  "Why do you strike your own face, Saxon?  Why, cowardly Saxon spy, have you crept into my camp, and killed my guard just to strike yourself  before me with your own hands?"  And there was nothing that the Saxon could say, for Arthur was holding the man's wrists in his hands, and was in truth using the Saxon's own arms to pummel his face.

A great feature, Arthur had, was his faith in God to drive fear into his enemy, and as his words for the Saxon carried across the hills on the wind and into the ears of the Saxon watch, they believed Arthur to have unleashed some grand, powerful blessing from Our Lord that struck his enemies full of a desire for their own destruction, that did lead them to end their lives in his presence.  And in the morning, as Arthur King marched at the head of his mighty army to confront the Saxons, those who did not flee in an all-consuming terror for the man were slaughtered by the might of Briton and Arthur and God, and in this victory Arthur grew ever closer to being the legendary and Forever King that he became.

2 comments:

The Knight of Surcoat said...

Sometimes a leader must lead. My uncle was a leader and I am proud to be in his tight knitted group of family. I am his nephew I am the Knight of Surcoat. The King showed his power must any doubt how strong the king actually is ? Why would one try to challenge so ? I am proud of my lineage and I am proud I have some of the Kings blood in me and not a soul may take it, thy are foolish if they try.

Many years from now stories will fill the air of future generations sad thing is a story as true as my Uncle killing with his brute strength is going to seem quite exaggerated to many, but if they could see the power he possessed, if they could see the respect he had and the fear he instilled in many, some knights and armies would run the other way as Sir Valven had mentioned. All fear the mighty King Arthur and maybe one day I can take the realm...I will not disappoint, Thay'll shall see the power of the Lineage

Merlin said...

It is most good to hear from a knight who praises the King. Arthur was a most formidable combatant. The Excalibur, as you suggest, is a deadly sword that brings demise to the enemy's ranks. The Lady of the Lake enhanted the sword, and gave it to King Arthur as a gift. I recall how I had trained him, ever since he was a youth, in the arts of swordsmanship. Arthur fought many other victorious battles, as a great King who united the land of Britain.