Tuesday, September 21, 2010

On Layamon's Brut

How unfairly I am displayed in this poem! Being called wicked and crass! It's not like anyone has ever bothered to listen to my side of the story. All anyone ever wants to hear about is what Arthur did, and what Arthur's next plans are to defeat me, and about how great Arthur is.

Well, Arthur is the one who decided to murder an entire village and then torch it to the ground, but somehow I end up being the evil one? I think it is a great deed that I accomplished, taking over his lands. I would have done a great job ruling those lands. I would have been a great ruler doing the same things that I would have--may have--done in Winchester. They would have received their legal rights. So long as they do what I say, of course.

But no. I get criticized for trying to protect myself. My men were more than willing to die for me, and you would have known that if you had asked me for my side of the story. Even those villagers I overtook loved me! Just ask them! Oh wait. You can't. Because Arthur killed them all!

Anyway, they let me run. Really. I can't expect you to believe me of course, because who is going to believe me over the saintly King Arthur who never does anything wrong. Except slay and burn entire villages.

But whatever. Story of my life, I suppose.

No comments: