Saturday, September 18, 2010

Lives of Pain and Struggle for Possession

So many have fallen to the rage of Ysbaddaden in their pretension to have me as their own. For years, I have loyally kept my pledge to my father for his sake that I will not leave his protection without his endorsement. I have neither encouraged nor discouraged of the many poor men that have taken the foolish task of attempting to win me from my father. Why these men attempt this, I cannot understand. I wonder why they do not go for some other easier catch so they may spare themselves the suffering of confronting Ysbaddaden or performing a task for a madman which is designed only to result in their failure. Perhaps I will never understand the absence of mind required to brave such obstacles only to win me. Does the prize they seek exist only in their mind or must I prove worthy of all their toils? I only wish to live without having to see anyone peril because of me. My pledge must be upheld though I am loyal to whatever man relieves me of this burden. I have never held hope for any man taking me as his wife without bloodshed.
My loyalty to my father is only by virtue of family. The arrogance of his abnormal stature and his selfish need to preserve himself and care for me has only caused me to be unhappy for a long time. The arrogance of whoever frees me of him mist rival that of his. If the rules of completion must be bent to the point where the man who attempts to win me has a legendary kind and his knights to aid him, so be it. I fear however that I am fated always to live in the shade of man's arrogance.

1 comment:

Adam Overbay said...

M'lady,

Sometimes knights just have to do what knights have to do. When an upstanding youth of the noble community comes calling, and he's curse'd with not knowing the strike of a woman's side until he defeats her giant father, what can a noble assembly of knights do but go out and engage in acts of violence on his behalf. It's the only decent thing. Besides, Kei was going to go adventuring, and I can never resist tagging along. I mean, who else do you know who can start small fires with his own body heat and burnish swords on demand?

After so long sitting around with knives in our meat, drinking horns filled with drink, etc, we knights get bored. I've only got one hand, so I can't even hold the knife and drinking horn at the same time. Garrison life is so tedious. But, the chance to catch poisoned spears and chuck them back through your fathers knee-cap, pluck a man's beard with wooden tweezers to make a dog leash, and ride on the shoulders of an epic salmon, that's good times!

Yours faithfully,
Bedwyr