Thursday, September 23, 2010

A King's Lament

I wanted to speak out on the incident of Queen Guinevere's betrayal of her lawful husband Arthur with his nephew Mordred. Having experienced this heartache myself with my wife Isolde and nephew Tristan, I can sympathize with my Lord Arthur's plight, yet I beg him to forgive and not to seek revenge against those who commit such treachery for they know not what they do to themselves or to the kingdom. Instead of battling Mordred, leaving hundreds of thousands dead, great men gone too soon to their graves, Arthur should have routed out his nephew and banished him into exile, along with the Queen, ne'er to return. While in some eyes this may be seen as foolish weakness, it is the only to satisfy honor and promote the public good, for the King and his people. So I have found in my own heart.

1 comment:

Tristan said...

Dear Uncle Mark, I certainly hope that Arthur follows your example, for you are a wise and compassionate king! You know that I, your beloved nephew, and your beautiful, passionate young bride would never intentionally bring pain upon you! Thank you for taking pity on us poor lovesick puppies! We are cursed, and you are right for not seeking revenge against us. I must say though Uncle, exile has proven to be more miserable than death and perhaps you can reconsider bringing me back to your kingdom? I would never be anything but a loyal and humble subject to you, my King. You can trust me Uncle, as you always have. I have always admired your forgiving and trusting nature!