Monday, October 20, 2008

The wonders of love and magic

Time and time again I have seen how magic and love work in mysterious ways. Merlin, the most extraordinary seer and enchanter of all ages, was born not out of love, but most unusual circumstances. Although he was conceived by a demon his love for God led him in the path of righteousness which he dutifully followed. Merlin's talents enabled him to see Uther's true love for Ygerne. This is why Merlin assisted Uther in gaining Ygnerne as his wife. Ygnerne is a virtuous woman who only had eyes for her husband the duke and resisted all the King's advances. I lament how Uther disguised himself to lay with Ygerne, but how strong and maddening such love can be! The human ability to love extends beyond reason and death. Ygerne still loves her husband even though he has been murdered. Uther and Ygerne's marriage will blossom into undeniable love that will be lore. Merlin's own love for Niviane led him astray and caused his death. I question his love, perhaps it was just the lust to take her maidenhood that Merlin was entranced by. Love is magic, love is a force not to be reckoned with. Hearing the stories of Uther and Ygerne, of Merlin and Niviane, I can't resist the temptation to imagine the love in my own life. The kind of love that overpowers reason and withstands fortnights without hearing from your lover. Alas, I shall too have the love that transcends time and becomes legendary. What is life without love?

5 comments:

Culhwch said...

I think it is only because you are such a lovestruck woman that you regret Uther's taking of Ygrene. We all know this as the history of our noble King Arthur's birth. Were it not for the actions of Uther and the magic of Merlin, our leige would not exist, and it is he who has brought peace to our shores at last. I had thought Merlin to be a great sorcerer, greater than the ones in my domain, but apparently magic does not keep one from the trickery of women.His death is regretable, for the world can certainly use sorcerers to help and to protect us.

Mrs. Whitaker said...

I agree with Culhwch ... without Uther sleeping with Ygnerne ... the good King Arthur would not exist. Without Arthur ... Britain would not be the place it is today! I would not belittle the magic of Merlin or the actions of Uther ... these men did what needed to be done to provide Britain with the strong and wise king that was needed.

And Guinevere, how can you talk about the trechery of Merlin? You who slept with Lancelot! Is that love? Or lust? Isn't that a little hypocritical? hmmm ....

Anonymous said...

While it is true that the honorable King Arthur came from the treacherous union of Ygerne and Uther, to use such treachery against a noble and virtuous lady is truly unforgivable! I cannot judge the actions of Uther and Merlin as harshly as I would like, as I myself am guilty of loving a woman not my own. But my fair Isolde of Cornwall returned my love! Ygerne was faithful unto the end to her beloved first husband. Indeed, she spurned the love, or dare I say it, lust, of King Uther Pendragon. And who is to say that King Arthur, our noble liege, would not have been born regardless? For Merlin and Uther to dabble in such a treacherous way is maddening, for Merlin states that he is a man of God, a good man. What good man would assist in the rape of a virtuous, honorable woman?

Guinevere said...

Thanks be to Tristan for his chivalry which is rare these days. I am thankful for my King,yet,the way he was conceived does not befit him. He is a most valiant and chivalrous man, but at times the anger and violence he is capable of cause me to wonder if these traits were instilled in him through his conception. A man who conceives through lies and rape is not honest and chivalric. Merlin should not have helped Uther do this, he should have helped Uther win her love truly, as Lancelot did when he rescued me from Mordred. Arthur did not come after me, he gave me up, and Lancelot being a worthy knight came to my rescue. Who knows what fate Britain or anyone of us may have, besides Merlin? Merlin may not have used his power in the correct manner, he was spawned by a demon. I lament his death as he was a great sorcerer. Do not speak to me of treachery because my heart is so full of love. I love my King, my country, and yes, I do love Lancelot. Love has many different forms and is found in many hearts. Perhaps you should open your heart and mind to love.

Hoel said...

Although love is very imporatant, loyalty is more important. I find it very virtous and right that Ygrene did not give into King Uther while her husband was still alive. Although I am completely committed to Arthur, son of Uther, I believe in loyalty and legience above anything else. But I thank God that the marriage between Uther and Ygrene took place because it gave us Arthur, as well as the start to my own family.