Saturday, October 25, 2008

Castle of the Maidens?

Well, here I am again, contemplating Arthurian cannon and wondering just what to write. I will admit that the "Rise of Gawain" is an interesting tale...well-written even...but I feel it could use something more. Perhaps a love story? An affair? A fairy? Something more would be nice....

There was one paragraph in the tale that deeply touched me--the one that mentions the "Castle of the Maidens" and the young woman in northern Britannia "who was noted for her grace and nobility, governed by her right of lordship" (pg. 395). Now that, to me, sounds like the beginning of a GOOD story. Just imagine, if Gawain had only had the good sense to fall in love with her while saving her from the pagan king? Of course, it would be a tense situation since Arthur was quite fond of her too. He may not want to share.... There might be battles of wit between the two men to win the girl's affection. And how would Gwendoloena feel about all this?

Oh! Perhaps I should write this story?! I would have to tweak Gawain's character, of course, since he may not be agreable to falling in love with such an independent woman . I would LOVE to round out the maiden's character as well. She would have to have a complex history and at least one other jealous suitor besides the pagan king. Gawain and her would make such a great couple...both good-looking and intelligent! I wonder if I can find a patron for this sort of thing? They love this genre in the court.... Oh goodness! Listen to me ramble! I think I may need to get to work right away! Another great love story credited to my name would not be a bad thing at all....

2 comments:

Giant said...

I'm going to crush your bones, bleed out the marrow, cook you slowly for three days while you steep in my rock soup. Your skull will be on my mantle, mixed with all the rest of my meals and entertaining jesters, as you will be a jester of sorts before I put you in my stew. You will become unrecognizable and to the world other than another fallen soul. You will taste good with barley and sage, a little rosemary and a touch of infant, possible an herb of...were you saying something?

Marie de France said...

And, that my dear, is why no one writes about Giants. Their only use can be found in their role of 'pawn'--that is, as something easily crushed by valiant men worthy of laurels.